How can you know if you’re doing well? It’s not fair to yourself to compare your situation to that of your friends, family, or peers. There’s no set path for life, but there are clues that can let you know if you’re doing well.
It’s worth the time to assess your life once a year to ensure that things are moving forward. If they’re not, you’ll know that some changes are in order.
Look for these signs to ensure that you’re making progress with your life:
1. You have a clear vision for your life that appeals to you. If you’re over 18 and you haven’t decided on a direction for your life, you’re not on track. If you’re not working toward something, you’re slowly moving toward chaos. Choose something. You can always change your mind later.
Consider the type of life you want to live. How do you want to live each day? Start making that happen.
Have goals that you’re consistently making progress toward.
2. You are learning what you need to learn. What do you need to learn to live the life you want?
For example, if you want to be a lawyer, you need to go to college and then attend law school. If you’re not in school and are working at The Burger Shack, your life isn’t on track.
Many goals require knowledge. You might need to learn to speak Russian or how to play the piano. There’s so much you can learn on your own these days that there’s no reason not to be educating yourself as much as possible.
3. Your credit score is strong. If your credit score stinks, you’re not doing as well as you could be. You don’t need to be wealthy to have a good credit score. You primarily need to pay your bills on time and avoid using too much of your available credit.
4. You have a social life. No one is better off being alone 100% of the time. You need to interact with others. You may need a big social circle or a small one, but you need people in your life.
5. You have a place to sleep and food to eat. Keep in mind that much of the world’s population is without a bed, food, or water. If you have these things, you’re doing better than most.
6. You are able to take care of your health issues. Is your weight under control? Do you have access to the medical care that you require? Do you have the financial resources to pay for those services?
7. You have a sufficient income to pay for the necessities. Basically, can you pay your bills each month? Do you have food and clothes? Can you pay your heating bill? If you’re struggling to pay your bills each month, your life isn’t on track.
8. You’re doing better than you were last year. You might be struggling mightily, but if your life is improving, it’s a good sign that your life is on track.
9. You have the freedom to be yourself. If you feel compelled to be someone you’re not, you’re not on track. You might dream of riding a motorcycle across North America with a full sleeve of tattoos, but if you’re stuck in an office pretending you enjoy filing tax returns, you’re off track with your life.
Everyone’s life veers off the chosen path now and then. What’s important is to recognize it and take the appropriate steps to get things back on course. If you have goals, you’re making progress with those goals, you can pay your bills, and you’re happy and healthy, you’re doing great!
Otherwise, get busy making a few changes to move toward a life that fulfills you.