How to Keep Your Mind Sharp
by Frankie Mooney | September 6th, 2020
Regardless of your age, you probably want to preserve your mental acuity for the rest of your life. Thanks to research, scientists are getting an increasingly clear picture of the things people can do to ensure their brains keep working in top form.
Consider these strategies to ensure your mind is working as efficiently as possible. Incorporate as many of these methods as you can into your everyday life to keep your thinking razor-sharp.
1. Engage in consistent exercise. Scientists continue to assert that performing regular aerobic activity, at least 30 minutes a day, is one of the best ways to keep your mind in good shape. You’re never too young or too old to get started on this one and keep up with it. When you exercise, you propagate healthy cells throughout your body.
2. Eat right. When you eat small amounts spread out over the day, your system can better handle the food, resulting in healthier organs, including your brain. Recommended foods are those that are moderate in protein and fat and high in fiber. Build your day around practical eating habits that will ensure you’ll have a mind that’s sharp as a tack.
3. Choose whole foods. Obtain as many of your vitamins and minerals from food products, rather than supplements and vitamins, as you can. The mind and body respond better to the real thing.
• Researchers are discovering every day that the use of supplements does not provide everything your body needs. Get your vitamins the old-fashioned way by eating healthy foods.
4. Avoid preventable diseases. If you can steer clear of diabetes, hypertension, and weight gain, your mind will thank you later. Researchers now believe that these illnesses that attack your body are also detrimental to your mental acuity.
5. Get good sleep. Did you know that chronic sleep issues are related somehow (scientists aren’t sure how) to cognitive decline? Therefore, if you want to stay sharp, get a consistent 7 to 8 hours per night.
• Because you can’t really catch up on lost sleep in ways that matter to your brain, make it a goal each evening to get in bed, turn out the light, and go to sleep in plenty of time to get those golden hours of snooze.
6. Successfully manage your stress. Feeling more relaxed and stress-free is believed to help your memory and keep your brain functioning better. Take whatever steps necessary to banish your stress.
• Practicing regular exercise, engaging in fulfilling activities during your time off, and enjoying love in your life keep your stress level down.
7. Keep learning new things. Although the jury is still out on whether working crosswords, word games, and math challenges keep your mind fit, one clear fact is that education ensures a strong, healthy mind. Learn something new each day.
• This year, take that small business class. Next year, join the local birding group to learn all about the local birds. If you want to have a quick mind, never stop learning.
All of these ideas are pragmatic things you can do to keep your brain in great shape. And most of them can be implemented today! Follow these suggestions and you’ll be rewarded with a razor-sharp mind.
To your success,